The Best Spoon Carving Axe for 2023
Looking for the best axe for spoon carving? Choosing the right axe is a crucial part of the process, as the right tool can make all the difference between a successful carving and a frustrating one. In this review we’ll explore what to look for when choosing an axe for spoon carving.
Carving spoons out of wood using an axe is a traditional woodworking technique that involves using an axe to carefully chip and chop away at the wood, removing small sections at a time in order to create a spoon shape.
For those new to spoon carving with an axe, the process can be challenging as it does require a great deal of skill, but with plenty of practice and patience the end result is likely to produce a beautiful and unique wooden spoon.
What To Look for When Choosing An Axe for Spoon Carving
- Blade Material – The blade material is an important factor to consider when choosing an axe for spoon carving. High-quality materials like carbon steel or stainless steel offer durability and sharpness, which are essential for making precise cuts.
- Blade Shape – The blade shape of an axe will determine its versatility and effectiveness. An axe with a curved blade is well-suited for spoon carving as it provides more control and accuracy when making delicate cuts.
- Handle Material – The handle of an axe should be made from a material that is both strong and comfortable to hold, such as hickory or ash. A good handle will provide a secure grip and reduce fatigue during extended carving sessions.
- Axe Weight – The weight of the axe is also an important factor to consider. A lightweight axe will be easier to handle and control, while a heavier axe will provide more leverage and power.
- Brand Reputation – Finally, be sure to choose an axe from a reputable brand that has a proven track record of producing high-quality tools. A well-known brand will likely provide better customer support, warranties, and overall quality compared to an unknown or cheaper brand.
Let’s take a look at the best spoon carving axe’s and what they have to offer, so that you can decide for yourself which one best suits your needs and your budget.
Gransfors Bruks, Large Swedish Carving Axe
This axe was created with the help of master craftsmen Wille Sundqvist and Onni Linnanheimo sharing their vast knowledge and expertise. This high-quality carving axe is an essential tool for anyone who is interested in carving spoons or other objects out of wood.
One things for sure, a good carving axe must have a sharp blade, made from high-quality steel and is designed for precise cutting. It must also have a comfortable handle that is easy to grip and allows for fine control.
The Gransfors Bruks 475 Large Swedish Carving Axe is ideal for green wood as well as dry wood, it has a relatively long curved cutting edge which measures 4 1/2 inches in length and is double-sided (double beveled) as standard.
Using a high-quality carving axe is important for several reasons. First and foremost, it will make the carving process much easier and more enjoyable. A sharp, well-made axe will cut, slice and chop through wood more easily, allowing you to make precise cuts and achieve the desired shape more quickly. This can help to reduce fatigue and make the carving process a real joy.
The axe is a really good weight to work with and weighs in at 2.2 LBS. It has a rough, straight grain Hickory wood handle that measures 14 1/2 inches in length which provides excellent grip along the whole length of the handle, so no matter where you are holding the handle, you’ll always get a good grip.
And just in case you were wondering what the initials are that you see on the axe head, well they are the initials of the forger at Gransfors and on the other side you get the Gransfors Bruks Sweden stamp, there’s also a tanned leather sheath to cover the axe head when you’ve finished working.
What We Like:
- Dual-Sided Cutting Edge – The 4 1/2 inch long curved cutting edge is double-bevelled, allowing for versatile and precise cutting in either direction.
- Comfortable Handle – The 14 1/2 inch rough, straight grain Hickory handle provides a comfortable grip that reduces fatigue during use.
- Ideal for Both Green and Dry Wood – This carving axe is suitable for use on both green and dry wood, making it a versatile tool for different carving projects.
- Lightweight Design – Weighing in at 2.2 LBS, this axe is lightweight and easy to work with, which can help increase your accuracy and control.
- Trusted Craftsmanship – With the involvement of master craftsmen Wille Sundqvist and Onni Linnanheimo, the Gransfors Bruks 475 Large Swedish Carving Axe is built with expert knowledge and precision.
Things to Consider:
- Cost – High-quality carving axes can be expensive, and the Gransfors Bruks 475 Large Swedish Carving Axe is no exception. Consider your budget and whether the cost is worth it for your needs.
- Maintenance – Regular maintenance is required to keep the blade sharp and in good condition. Make sure you are prepared to properly care for your axe.
- Learning Curve – If you are new to carving, there may be a learning curve in getting used to the axe and its features. Plan for extra time and patience as you gain experience.
BeaverCraft Carving Axe Hand Forged Hatchet with Sheath
The BeaverCraft carving axe is a high-quality and high-performance tool designed for woodworking activities such as carving, cutting, chopping and splitting. The cutting-edge design and attention to detail make this wood hatchet a durable and reliable option for any woodworking task.
This 1.4 LBS hatchet is versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes, including wood carving, woodworking, green woodworking, and carpentry. Its compact size of just 12 inches allows for easy use with one hand, and the high-quality ash wood handle is finished with linseed oil and wax for added durability. The careful selection of materials ensures that the axe will not break even under heavy loads.
This wood hatchet is comfortable to use, reliable, and durable, with a 3 inch sharp cutting blade for maximum performance. It comes with a leather blade sheath and belt loop for added safety and protection during transportation and storage.
Made in Europe, this BeaverCraft carving axe has a hardened carbon steel blade which is razor-sharp, making it ideal for efficient chopping, carving, and other woodworking techniques. The balance between the ash wood handle and blade provides comfortable use even for long periods of time.
What We Like:
- High-Quality and Performance Design – The attention to detail and cutting-edge design of the BeaverCraft carving axe makes it a durable and reliable option for any woodworking task.
- Versatile – The 1.4 LBS hatchet can be used for a variety of purposes including wood carving, woodworking, green woodworking, and carpentry.
- Comfortable to Use – The balance between the ash wood handle and blade provides comfortable use even for long periods of time.
- Razor-Sharp Blade – The hardened carbon steel blade is razor-sharp, making it ideal for efficient chopping, carving, and other woodworking techniques.
- Comes With a Leather Blade Sheath – The hatchet comes with a leather blade sheath and belt loop for added safety and protection during transportation and storage.
Things to Consider:
- Blade Maintenance – The high-quality carbon steel blade may require regular maintenance to keep it sharp and functioning efficiently.
- Ash Wood Handle – The ash wood handle is finished with linseed oil and wax for added durability, but may still require maintenance over time.
- Weight – The 1.4 LBS weight may be too light for some users who prefer a heavier carving axe.
1. PFEIL Carving Hatchet
The PFEIL Carving Hatchet is a highly-regarded tool among woodworkers. It features a finely-honed blade that is perfect for precise cuts, as well as a comfortable handle that provides a secure grip for maximum control.
The design elements come together to make the PFEIL Carving Hatchet a reliable and effective tool for all kinds of woodworking projects. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, this hatchet is sure to be a valuable addition to your toolkit.
The ash wood handle is a popular choice for tool handles due to its durability and strength. It provides a comfortable grip that is easy to hold and maneuver, making it a pleasure to use for extended periods of time.
The head of the hatchet is forged using a through eye process, which ensures that it is a strong and well-balanced tool. The forging process results in a sturdy and reliable tool that can withstand heavy use without breaking or coming loose from the handle.
The hatchet is made from premium tool steel, which is known for its toughness and durability. This high-quality steel is able to retain its sharp edge even after heavy use, ensuring that the hatchet is always ready to tackle the toughest carving tasks.
The hatchet has a 5″ cutting edge, which is a good size for most wood carving and precision woodworking tasks. The cutting edge is sharp and well-defined, making it easy to create precise cuts and fine details in wood.
The overall length of the hatchet is 18″, making it a good size for both small and large carving projects, it’s well-balanced and easy to maneuver.
What We Like:
- Precise Blade – The finely-honed blade of the PFEIL Carving Hatchet is perfect for precise cuts, making it ideal for detailed woodworking projects.
- Comfortable Handle – The ash wood handle provides a comfortable grip and is easy to hold, allowing for maximum control and maneuverability.
- Sturdy and Well-Balanced – The head of the hatchet is forged using a through eye process, resulting in a strong and well-balanced tool that can withstand heavy use.
- Made From Premium Tool Steel – The hatchet is made from tough and durable premium tool steel, which retains its sharp edge even after heavy use.
- Good Size – The 5″ cutting edge and 18″ overall length of the hatchet make it a good size for both small and large carving projects, and well-balanced for easy maneuverability.
Things to Consider:
- Ash Wood Handle Maintenance – The ash wood handle may require maintenance over time to maintain its durability and strength.
- Price Range – The cost of the hatchet may be a consideration for some users, especially those who are on a budget.
2. Hultafors / Hults Bruk Agelsjon Hand Hatchet
The Hultafors hatchet is a hand-forged woodworking tool that combines traditional craftsmanship with modern functionality. Made in a Swedish foundry that has been operating since 1697, this hatchet is made from high-quality Swedish axe steel, ensuring its durability and longevity. The head weighs in at 500g, or approximately 1.1lbs, and the total weight of the hatchet is 775g (1.7lbs). The handle length is 235mm, or 9.5 inches, making it a comfortable size for users of all hand sizes.
The hatchet is designed for precision and efficiency, with a sharpened and polished edge that is ready to use straight out of the box. The wooden handle is made from American hickory, and it has been treated with linseed oil for added durability and grip. This handle provides a comfortable grip that is easy to hold and maneuver, even for extended periods of time.
This hatchet comes with a traditional leather protective sheath for added safety during storage and transportation and is also shipped in its own storage box, which adds an extra layer of protection.
Whether you’re an experienced carpenter or just starting out, the Hultafors hatchet is an excellent choice for woodworking projects. Its versatility makes it ideal for carving, cutting, chopping and splitting, and it is also great for creating items like spoons and bowls. The hand-forged head and high-quality materials make this hatchet a durable and reliable option for all your woodworking and wood carving needs.
What We Like:
- Hand-Forged Steel – The Hultafors axe head is hand-forged from Swedish axe steel, ensuring that each one is made with care and precision. The foundry has been in operation for over 300 years, making it a reliable source for high-quality axes.
- Comfortable Handle – The wooden handle is made from American hickory and treated with linseed oil, providing a comfortable grip and reducing the chances of slipping while in use. The handle is also 235mm/9.5″ long, making it easy to control and maneuver.
- Versatile Axe – The head weight of 500g (approx. 1.1lbs) makes this hatchet suitable for a variety of woodworking tasks, including carving, chopping, and splitting. The sharp edge is ready to use and makes cutting and shaping wood easier.
- Protective Sheath – The axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath, which helps keep the edge sharp and protected while not in use. The sheath also makes it easier to transport and store the axe.
- Elegant Storage Box – The Hultafors axe is shipped in its own storage box, making it a great gift option for any woodworker or carver. The box also provides an elegant way to store the axe when not in use.
Things to Consider:
- Overall Weight – The total weight of the axe is 775g (1.7lbs), which may be heavy for some users. It’s important to consider if the weight will be manageable for your specific needs.
- Edge Maintenance – The edge is sharp and ready to use, but it will need to be maintained over time. Regular sharpening and honing will be necessary to keep the edge in good condition.
Best Budget Option
Marbles Small Axe MR702
The Marbles Small Axe MR702 is a great budget option choice for all your woodworking needs. This versatile axe is designed to handle a variety of tasks, whether you’re looking to chop wood, carve spoons, or create bowls, this axe has you covered.
The 6″ carbon steel blade is sharp and durable, providing precise cuts every time, the blade’s standard edge ensures clean cuts, making it an ideal tool for fine woodworking tasks, while the carbon steel material is tough and long-lasting, making it a great choice for demanding woodworking projects too.
The hickory wood handle is both beautiful and functional, providing a comfortable grip that’s easy to control. The leather lanyard adds an extra level of safety, ensuring that the axe stays in your hand during use.
The brown leather axe head sheath is the perfect complement to this beautiful axe. The sheath is sturdy and well-made, providing a safe and secure place to store the axe when not in use and is also an ideal way to protect the blade, ensuring that it stays sharp and ready for your next project.
What We Like:
- Carbon Steel Blade – The 6″ carbon steel blade is sharp, precise, and durable, making it ideal for fine woodworking and woodturning projects.
- Hickory Handle – The hickory wood handle is both beautiful and functional, providing a comfortable grip that’s easy to control.
- Leather Lanyard – The leather lanyard adds an extra level of safety, ensuring that the axe stays in your hand during use.
- Leather Sheath – The brown leather sheath is well-made, providing a safe and secure place to store the axe when not in use and protects the blade too.
Things to Consider:
- Weight – At 2.2 lbs, this axe may not be suitable for those who prefer lighter tools or for extended periods of use.
Try Spoon Carving With An Axe
To carve a spoon using an axe, you will need to start by choosing a piece of wood that is suitable for carving. Some good wood options include hardwoods such as cherry, maple, and oak. Once you have chosen your piece of wood, use a pencil to draw the outline of the spoon on the wood. This will give you a guide to follow as you carve the spoon.
If you have a workbench to work off with a vise attached to securely hold the wood in place, this will be a great help. Then use the axe to carefully chip away at the excess wood, following the outline of the spoon. This will involve making a series of small cuts with the axe, gradually shaping the wood into the desired spoon shape.
As you carve, you will also need to use a set of carving tools to refine the shape of the spoon and add details. This may include using a knife to carve out the bowl of the spoon, or using a chisel to add decorative details. You may also need to use a file or wood rasp to smooth out any rough edges or uneven areas on the spoon.
Once you have carved the spoon to your satisfaction, use sandpaper to smooth the surface of the wood and remove any rough edges. You can then apply a finish to the spoon, such as linseed oil, to protect it and bring out the natural beauty of the wood. Over time and with plenty of practice and patience, the skills you have learned will help you to create beautiful and unique spoons using this traditional woodworking technique.